Thursday, March 20, 2008

Manners














Growing up, good manners were not an option, but a must. My parents used to threaten us that if we had bad table manners we would have to eat outside with the dogs. That always made me chuckle a little because we didn't have any dogs. Nevertheless, we didn't want to have to eat outside, especially in winter. I even had friends who were terrified of joining us for dinner after I told them they had to watch their manners because my parents were manner nazis. But I must say that I am very grateful for their teaching. I can not stand to watch someone eat their dinner while laying on the table and chewing with their mouth open. But I will say there are some things I don't do that my parents taught me. For example, sorry mom and dad but I don't cut my sandwich in half. I never have. I also lick my fingers which is one topic my parents disagreed on. Now that I have kids of my own, I have tried to pass on the torch of good table manners. Well I am married to a southerner. Now don't get me wrong, Mark has come a LOOOONG way at the dinner table, but there are some habits I just can't fix. (Talk to my dad if you want to know about Mark's previous table habits). The kids happen to pick up on those bad manners more quickly than the good ones. They know that drinking out of their bowl is not allowed, but how do you tell them no when their dad is at the table doing the same thing? Now it's a game and they think it's hilarious when they do it. McKenna likes to call Pappy just to tell him that she did it. Kaitlyn is innocent and doesn't do it just for laughs. She actually drinks the milk out of her bowl BEFORE she eats the cereal. If you look closely, you can still see the Chex in her bowl. But overall they are pretty well-mannered at the table. Now all we have to work on is that pesky burping!

I couldn't leave this post without putting up pictures of my boys. I am very proud of Joseph's teeth. He is my only child to have more than one tooth at their first birthday! Also, Jacob wanted me to take a picture of him walking on the roots of one of grandma's trees. He thought that was pretty cool!

3 comments:

Jon and Laura said...

Cute cute cute pictures, I love them. And I especially loved reading your post about manners. Jon would have to agree with your kids on the drinking out of the bowl thing, he does it every morning, and he thinks it is ok because I'm not watching. But I always tell him "well God is watching" ha ha. What are we going to do with our husbands? :) Despite the bowl thing, we still love em.
And I adore Joseph's teeth. What a doll. And what a good idea on your part to stop nursing. OUCH!

Joe and Lora Leigh said...

Those pictures are great, Jules! However, I am a little offended that your explanation for Mark's bad manners is that he is a southerner! Do I need to remind you who had a salad fight at the dinner table when she was at her in-laws' house? Hmm? :) Love you!

Andrea said...

I hear you! Magnum's family never really cared about manners at the table, and the first time he got caught at Dad's table drinking out of his bowl he didn't know what to say. I'll confess though, I do it too...just not around mom and dad. ;)